Living in the desert makes dry skin feel like an inevitability. To top it off, the Phoenix heat that makes us sweat can further irritate dry, cracked skin. This causes inflammation and painful infections. How can you heal dry skin and protect it from the harsh desert climate? With the help of skin care experts, of course.
Top 3 Skin Care Ingredient Types for Dry Skin
In order to choose the best skin care products to heal and prevent dry skin, you must first understand the ingredients that skin care experts swear by. While we recommend looking for these ingredients on labels prior to purchasing, we also recommend discussing your options with a skin care professional, such as an aesthetician or dermatologist. This will ensure that the products you select are best for your needs. This is especially important if you have a chronic skin condition, allergies, or sensitivities.
- Humectants: Ingredients like glycerin and hyaluronic acid are moisture sponges that draw in water from the air.
- Emollients: Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone are silicone-based and tend to provide a silkier feel. They fill in and smooth skin.
- Occlusives: Petroleum jelly, waxes, and oils help seal moisturizing ingredients in place while also providing a barrier to protect your skin. Silicones like Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone are also considered occlusives.
Skin care experts recommend a combination of occlusives with emollients or humectants for longer lasting results; however, occlusives aren’t found in most products designed for facial moisture, as they tend to be too heavy and lead to clogged pores.
Products for Dry Skin Relief at Ultra Smooth Skin
There are many excellent skin care products available for purchase from your preferred skin care clinic or local drug store. Some are dermatologist approved and even endorsed by trusted organizations. Here at Ultra Smooth Skin, our preferred skin care products come from SkinMedica; these products are supplied by Allergan, the makers of Botox and Juvederm, and are trusted by aesthetics providers across the United States.
Discuss these products with our providers or order them online from our digital skin care store:
- HA5: Five different types of hyaluronic acid for lasting hydration plus anti-aging benefits. It’s also designed to help your skin replenish its own hyaluronic acid over time. In addition to hyaluronic acid, SkinMedica HA5 also includes glycerin and dimethicone.
- Dermal Repair Cream: Intense moisture with a combination of hyaluronic acid and Vitamin E power this cream, but it also contains occlusive ingredients for advanced moisture and skin protection, including lecithin.
- HA5 Smooth and Plump Lip System: Lips are often the first to dry out, which is why lip care and products have become incredibly popular. This dual lip kit has one applicator to smooth and another to plump your lips. Both help with moisture using hyaluronic acid, glycerin, dimethicone, and soybean oil.
- Replenish Hydrating Cream: Chamomile to soothe the skin combines with moisturizing and protective ingredients for powerful moisturizing. Moisturizing ingredients include Vitamin E, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, and hyaluronic acid.
- TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream: For very dry skin, contains ceramide, glycerin, soy oil, hyaluronic acid, allantoin, and so much more.
- Rejuvenative Moisturizer: For normal to dry skin, contains Vitamin E, hyaluronic acid, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, and dimethicone to moisturize combined with retinol to exfoliate.
More Dry Skin Tips
In addition to choosing the right products with the right ingredients, it’s important to change a few lifestyle habits that may be causing or worsening your dry skin. Here are some top tips from skin care professionals:
- Showers: Fewer, shorter, cooler showers are best for you if you have or tend to have dry skin. Instead of showering daily, reduce your showers to every other day or every three days. You can maintain hygiene by gently cleansing intimate areas and underarms with a damp cloth and gentle soap. When you do shower, spend less time in the shower and reduce the temperature. Water, particularly hot water, strips natural oils from the skin; this causes the skin to dry out and crack.
- Cleansers: When you shower, wash your hands, or cleanse your face, opt for a cream cleanser to reduce drying. If you have sensitive skin, discuss fragrance-free options to reduce irritation.
- Moisturizing Ritual: Immediately following your shower or washing your hands, gently pat your skin dry and apply moisturizers within three minutes. This helps lock in moisture and will reduce the amount of moisturizer required. Reapply moisturizer 2 or more times per day, or as recommended by your providers. If your skin feels dry, moisturize. If your skin is cracking, protect it with gloves, sterile gauze, or clean, white socks.
- Watch for Signs of Infection: Dry skin is more prone to cracking, which increases the risk of infection. If your skin is weeping, oozing, or warm to the touch, speak with your physician, as these are signs of an infection. Inflammation and chronic redness are also signals that an infection may be present, and you may have a chronic skin condition that requires the care of a board-certified dermatologist.
Learn More About Skin Care at Ultra Smooth Skin
Want to know more about great skin care, anti-aging, and beauty treatments available in Scottsdale and Chandler, AZ?